Saturday, January 7, 2012

SOPA Yeah I Get It Already Stop Shoving It In My Face

For the past few months many users on the internet have been harping about the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act).  For the reason that it would ruin a lot supposedly on youtube, deviantart, JTV/TTV, etc.  While I don't support it in the slightest.  I'm also not really in the mood to care.

Yes with this law passed a lot of things would be restricted unless you went to the work of acquiring permission for many many companies.  I recognize that completely.  I can't say I'm all too happy about the deal going down.  What really bothers me is that 1000s upon 1000s of users go beyond the step of making there voice heard and feel that by performing actions that aren't very well thought out will help the cause.

We recognize that you're pissed and don't want this to pass, but pointing fingers, making threats, etc. is not going to help solve the problem.  That's why I'm not supporting either side.  There's way too many people expecting me along with everyone else to take some sort of action that'll please them.  I don't need the whole "Gov't is screwed up help us fight this battle so we can keep part of our freedom."  I already know how badly screwed up the Gov't is.  However things could be far worse.

So what would I do if this bill got passed and they came ready to take me down?.....I'd just close my YT and JTV/TTV accounts.  It would take a lifetime and cost an arm and a leg to even remotely fight something so big caused by something so little.  I highly doubt there would be many out there in the world willing to lend support for me to fight as well.  Its funny cause I remember before when others we're telling me to dispute the copyright claims.  See the thing most don't recognize is this line of fine print when you dispute a copyright claim:

"Please note that under Section 512(f) any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity is infringing may be subject to liability for damages. Don't make false claims! ....

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability. Please also be advised that we enforce a policy that provides for the termination in appropriate circumstances of subscribers who are repeat infringers."

A lot of people who tell me I should dispute. Well unless you're gonna help me should a legal case happen I'm not gonna bother disputing.  

That's about all I can say about the SOPA.