Thursday, February 20, 2014

Quite the Dilemna here - Random Magazine Subscriptions?

An issue that's been going for me for months has been bugging me.

For the past couple of months I've been receiving issues of MAXIM magazine in my name.  MAXIM magazine is a magazine that's tailored specifically towards guys or really I should say male adults.  Its full of things males want to see (women, dirty jokes, and the like). I wasn't let known of this till October. Apparently my mom was taking those issues with her to her job and leaving them for people to read. Aside from that WTF, I questioned why was I getting these. I would never read such a magazine I saw the cover and thought the absolute worse for my reputation and immediately threw em away.

After recieving that October 2013 issue I thought that would be the last I would see of them. I had thoughts that maybe a friend or someone I knew signed me up for it as a form of a sick joke. But I couldn't think of who would do that.  Later on I ended up still getting issues...without my knowledge my mom again took them to her job for others to read.  I didn't catch that I was still receiving issues till yesterday Feb. 18th, 2014.  I decided to try and get to the bottom of this and figure out what's going on.

Checking my past year's bank statements I found nothing that stood out as weird purchases. So it wasn't someone nabbing my credit/debit cards.  I contacted the magazine company directly telling them to cancel my subscription. There response was as follows,

Dear Mr. Dixon,
 
We cancelled your subscription and the April 2014 issue should be the last one you receive.
 
Your order was placed through the Subco agency and they will be able to assist you with your billing inquiry. Their telephone number is 800 258 3350.

Sincerely,
Rosa Vitera
Email Customer Service
So with that information I went to check out who this "Subco Agency" was.  Apparently there one of those 3rd party groups that sign you up for things and make money based on how many people they can sign up. Reading more info on them I find tons of complaints similar to my own although they seem to rather exaggerated or in a worst position than I'm in personally. There was one complaint stating that he/she couldn't cancel there subscription unless they called Subco Agency directly, and every time that person made the call they were connected to voicemail.  
The thing I'm wondering is how did my information make it to them? Did I click some random offer on accident? Is someone misusing my collected information (which is highly illegal)? Did someone I know use my name and address for whatever reason? I'm more or less worried in that regard.  I'm honestly glad I managed to get that magazine cancelled. There would've been a lot of trouble if some people I know saw me getting these.