Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (We Promise your life will go to this game)

While like every other Disgaea game prepare to devote part of your life to this game.  You may not want to but its gonna happen.  Unfortunately this game demands more of your time than any other.  I mean more than you can possibly imagine. And you won't see much of a payoff unless your devoting a great portion of your time and energy towards this game.


Storyline - Innuendos, World is Messed up, You know the drill.


While the storyline is rather basic. Its good compared to most games of today. While sticking to the comedy and keeping the story its enough to satisfy the player.  The things I don't like about this game however are the innuendos and dirty jokes thrown in at the most inconvenient times. During character creation one of the characters talks about being turned on by sniffing someone's shoes. Another time being a character asking to sniff panties or someone to smell his. The rest being scenes of how screwed up humanity is.  Sheesh can't I have a game where I its not talking about bad the world is?  If you're willing to look past that then there is a story.  For me quite a few parts made me feel rather uncomfortable. But most people I find that play Disgaea or any other game in its series don't even care for the storyline.  That's not even the selling point either.

If the story isn't about how the world sucks then its about innuendos with some comedy.

Gameplay - Prepare to have a case of soda, stay awake food, etc.


This is where things turned me off.  At first things started out rather well.  I'm cool with strategy RPGs.  However the game quickly turned into being all about numbers and how powerful you can make a character.  I played with the intention of messing with the other game content later. But I found myself forced to jump into barely halfway through the main story.

Item World is Lame

The most annoying part of the game and where most of your hours will go if its not spent killing enemies and hoping to reach a particular level. Generally its to make whatever piece of equipment or item stronger so that you can benefit even greater. I ended up frustrated of falling asleep in the middle of the day going through this. If you're not careful you can end up fighting enemies that clearly outclass you in every way making any sort of strategy you had planned useless.  To make matters worse there's only 3 ways out. Finish it, use a special item, or Game Over.  This is made worse with the online feature as you might end up fighting other players characters that are clearly stronger than your own virtually ruining your day.  And this was in low level items apparently when I asked the forums.  Better to cut off online to make things a little more balanced.  My worst experience was using a feature where I could call someone else's character for help.  There character showed up to help only to die by the NPC Gatekeeper that's supposed to be neutral. Guess it was being a referee telling me not to call for help ever.

This wouldn't be so bad however this function of the game is forced. You'll end up at a point in the story where the game denies you to make any more progress till you use item world to a certain degree.
You want to progress the story? Nope Gotta do Item World First

No Sense of Progress in Leveling

Leveling in this game is atrocious. The max level is 9999 but it doesn't stop there. Simallar to Pokemon to make the strongest character you need certain things to go your way.  Since that's true you can reincarnate your character back to LVL 1 and begin the leveling process all over again. Even more so you can go to Character World to make your character even stronger.  While Character World isn't as tedious as Item World is, the leveling part is still slow till you acquire something that can only be found...."IN ITEM WORLD ARGH!!!!"

So until you find that certain something your character will level up rather slowly.  While you can go on Youtube and find ppl reaching max level in like 2 minutes. However I lack that "specific thing" (whatever it is) I need to level that fast.  I wouldn't feel so bad about leveling if I actually saw a major difference in stat boost.  But I don't really see or feel a sense of accomplishment till I hit like LVL 500 or 1000.  To make it worse pretty much the sense of strategy the game has was virtually out the window.  And I haven't even beaten the game yet. You seriously won't see a major difference in stats till you hit level 100 from then on its another 50 to 100 levels till you see a noticeable change in stats. Even then its not enough I found enemies as low as LVL 250 able to inflict damage well over 40% of my unit HP at LVL 1000. This wasn't due to some adverse effect in the game or some sort of boost the enemy received in stats and my armor is as up-to-date as it can get.  This game is just weird about handout stat boost or giving you a sense that you're stronger. Even fighting enemies that are evenly matched to your units levels/stats forget about having a balanced fight. So guess what the only way to feel stronger is to reincarnate your characters and hope there stats increase is enough. Which it won't be.

*Side Note: Don't trust what strategy guides say. They'll end up leading down the a path where you'll get stuck for awhile. Also with the patch downloaded things are rather tough to grind as apparently everyone I talked to used a glitch that was patched out of the game. The patch cannot be uninstalled since if you do the game will read your save as a corrupted file. I've tested this.  So I can't utilize this glitch everyone's talking about. This is what everyone mentioned for me to do however I cannot due to these issues.

You could have 1 unit around the same level as the enemy but that doesn't matter. The enemy is still stronger.

Online Interaction is Crazy

The things that can happen online are rather unique but highly dependent on people actually playing online.  I honestly hate being signed in on PSN cause of the many bad things that can happen to me. Or should I say the 1 thing that keeps happening.  The game being as old as it is there's of course players that have already grinded to the point that they have the strongest character around.  Well I personally keep coming across a player's character that has pretty much all maxed out stats. So ruining any Senate hearings I have as well as any already horrible times in Item World.  I pretty much have to shut off online to make sure this guy doesn't show up.  As for me well no one else seems to play this game online so I get none of the benefits I can apparently get from online.

Might as well turn off Online unless you like encountering guys 
that should be clearly done with the game.

Overall

I have to say this game would be pretty fun but with the grinding being a requirement and strategy being thrown out the window barely halfway through the game. I'm honestly disappointed. The game is more about grinding to make a great character and show it off to friends assuming you have friends that play the game. If anything keeps me there its the comedy. I can still do without the innuendos and dirty jokes.  This is definitely a game for those that just have nothing better to do.  You won't see much progress unless you're devoting all your time to it even then it'll still take a long time.  I might look into Disgaea D2 since that's supposed to be better and overall fair compared to this game.

Side Note 2: If I have to utilize some glitch or hack a game to make progress or "Have Fun" Then the game isn't really worth it.  I've received offers for people to "hack my save file" or to just download another save. Even to start over without the patch.  I'm not going out of my way to fix a game to bring things to my favor.

One of the few scenes I actually did like in the game. 
Although I have to call this game a hypocrite as well in what's being stated here. LOL

Disgaea 4: A Promised Unforgotten
Cost:  $59.99
I Paid: $13.49
Worth: $11.00


Character Highlight: Valvatorez

While I absolutely detest Vampires. Valvatorez is kinda cool in this story. One of the few characters that isn't going around telling everyone to feel sorry for him cause of some tragic past.  His motto about keeping promises (and forcing everyone else to keep theirs) makes him rather unique in terms of RPG characters. Especially in this day and age.  While he has this silly antics about sardines and tends to be naive about what's going on around him. He manages to keep his beliefs and move on.  He doesn't even complain about his lot in life. He doesn't really care about how low on the "food chain" he is. This guy I feel truly stands out from what seems to be the status quo of today where everyone's either emo or did something and wants everyone to feel sorry for him or her.  We need more characters like this honestly.