Monday, May 11, 2015

Donations: And How I feel about it

For the most part all of us have donated to something or someone for whatever reason. But in the past couple of years or maybe I should say decades. It rather sucks to donate cause we end up seeing that money used for selfish reasons rather than what was said. History has shown this to happen and even now it happens way more often than it should. With things like Paypal, Paetron, Kickstarter, etc. its far too easy to use these things as "free money".  I'm writing this not only as a response to those on Max's recent video of his generous donation. But even some of my friends and acquaintances that are either taking donations to help themselves out or giving others(like me) donations.

The Good

So we donate to a cause we want to help. Or we want to support someone. So usually we give our surplus to assist these people. Its great cause maybe we're actually helping. The main ones I always remember is PBS to keep there shows running, Salvation Army which always during the end of the year we have dudes in Santa outfits standing in the cold ringing a bell and many more. Or we may have just saved someone from falling into financial ruin. It always feels good to give to someone there's no doubt about that. 

The Bad

This is where things go wrong. The people that go out for help take the money that was given and use it for a completely different purpose. We've seen it time and again. From many church pastors using it to line there pockets to a bum on the street buying a beer. It sucks when it happens but its worse when we find out. We can't do anything about it cause that person has the money and ran away with it. This hurts everyone cause the ones that need the money or help don't get it and the ppl that gave away the money probably won't do it again. This is regrettable but it happens.

The main problem is people give away the money and rarely there isn't anything to show that our money has helped. In fact for a lot of things you'd think that as much money as you or someone else has handed over, that the problem will be solved. Most we get (maybe) is a piece of paper saying that we helped out. Worst case is these people ask for more money. 

What Bugs Me About It

While its nice that people will donate for whatever cause. These days its very suspicious when it happens.  Especially for certain people. While a person's intentions can be clear on a piece of paper, video, or face to face. I don't know what's going on behind closed doors. How do I know that the person or group is genuine? Its very hard to trust these days considering how sneaky people are.  

That's just one thing. It really bothers me when someone announces that they have donated. These people I just wonder why do they announce that they're doing it? To let everyone know that you're doing a great/noble thing can easily rub off as a way to show off and look good in front of the general public. Not only that but I worry about safety as well for everyone involved. You just announced to the world that you have money and you're giving it away to this person for whatever reason. That's just asking for someone to rob you. Couldn't more discretion be used in this regard? Does it have to be announced? When someone announces that they're doing this or that they received money I begin to question the motives behind it all. I'm not saying that you can't say thank you for taking the money but it shouldn't be made a big deal and announced to everyone. 

I have a hard time viewing streams on Twitch.tv now cause of the new system implemented in Twitch.tv streams. On most streams now almost every 5 minutes I find a message in the middle of gameplay saying some person donated X amount of money.  Not counting the annoying sound bite that follows, but I noticed that a lot of times this comes from the same person and usually its outrageous amounts of money given. Its practically a competition now as to who has the most money and who can donate the most. I'll be honest I used to be jealous of those getting money that easily on a daily basis. For a good while I thought to myself that if I put in hard work then I'll receive untold amounts of cash as well on a daily basis via donations. But I was only deceiving myself with that thought. I ended up stabbing myself (figuratively) making choices I now regret trying to reach the same level these creators have. 

Me and Donations

I'm in no way saying I'm the epitome of perfection either. I've taken donations in the past as well. While those donations went exactly to what I said they would. I feel bad for doing it. There's always people that constantly tell me, "Hey we want to give you money so take it." But I still feel bad when I look back on it. What good did I do? Play videogames on put them on a website? Even when I tell my parents or friends about how people donate all the time they say its not "real money" or something else on those lines like it being shady.  Personally I don't mind if people were to donate to me if they wanted to. But I feel I should give something way more in return than just some entertainment. I wish I knew the people that donated to me in the past so I could find a way to repay them. Sadly those people are long gone for the most part. I wish they didn't donate. Rather I'm just satisfied if they watch the videos and comment. Through getting paid via partnership I feel a lot better cause I'm getting paid by ad revenue not donations.There's a lot better things they can do with that money than hand it to me. 

End Of Discussion

I'm all for donations. Great that there's someone nice enough with the situation to do so. You guys can donate all you want. But to announce it? That's what bothers me. I don't see a need to announce that you're doing or done a donation.  It easily rubs off as you're doing it for some selfish intent. I know that Max's purpose was to do a nice thing and encourage others to do so as well but it can be easily seen as a selfish purpose. Many people in the past have done the same and only for themselves to look good. You can donate and not have it announced publicly. You will still feel good about it. You can tell others to help someone out or help a specific person/group out and not mention that you given money. When it comes to donations or really giving it should be done discreetly. Its not a sport or a competition and the main goal is to make a people feel better. The part of you feeling better for doing it comes as a bonus. If you can give and feel like giving to others then do so. If you can't and still want to. There's other ways than money to go about it.