Friday, March 31, 2017

Power Rangers - Legacy Wars: Tarnished My Legacy




I'm pretty sure every one of you out there has had a game that you looked forward to playing when it came out then you play it and your like....ugh. Well that's how I feel with this game. Power Rangers - Legacy Wars is a fighting game for mobile devices. You pick rangers from your favorite series from Mighty Morphin up to the 2017 Movie. Obviously this game was to celebrate/promote the new 2017 movie. But honestly it doesn't do a good job. Lack of gameplay options, not much explanation given, a badly organized character roster, and mechanics make this game really meh at best.

So the concept of this game is that Rita Repulsa (The 2017 Movie One) decides to corrupt the legacy of the Power Rangers. Now it's up to you to recruit characters get rid of this corruption. That's it. From that point onward you get thrown into a tutorial that tells you how to fight. But it doesn't tell you everything. After you finish the tutorial the only thing left is PvP.

What's Good?

I guess I should note what's good first. So I admire the character models. They're pretty well done. Although you could say it's simple to make models like that since the character roster is mostly rangers. But you got the evil bad guys like Goldar or Xandred. I just wish that like in Marvel Future Fight you could take a closer look at the models.

Actual PvP. On a Mobile game that's kinda rare. Usually when it's PvP it's really you vs another players team. But this is actual PvP. So I have to give props for this.

That's it really...

Behold all the characters you can play as right now. It'll be awhile before they add more.

What's Bad


Everything else is bad. Music is forgettable. The combat while I didn't expect much from this is bad. Basically it's 2.5D fighting game on a mobile device and aside from Street Fighter IV and a few others on mobile. This doesn't do a good job. You swipe left and right to dash or backdash. But you select from a somewhat random assortment of cards to attack or block. And you utilize this to hopefully beat down your opponent.

That's all the tutorial tells you. What you're not told is that blocking attacks you can only block for a small period of time. And there's attacks that break guards. Not only that but there's combos. Combos that only work when certain cards are used in a correct order. The only way you figure this out is through playing the game.

There's also only 2 modes of play in the game. Training and PvP. While that's not bad considering your new standard for fighting games is Training Mode and Online Matches. WAIT WHAT AM I SAYING?! I HATE BOTH THESE MODES IN FIGHTING GAMES!!!

You only get these 2 modes to play. Nothing else. No added story to the game. Which you don't really need. But honestly when your opening intro is Rita Repulsa is doing something evil and the world needs you to stop it. I need a bit more story to go along with it. Not only that. But WHY IS THERE NO SINGLE PLAYER?!

So your PvP is ranked by tiers. As you rank up you get access to more characters...I should explain this though cause at first I thought this would be like Marvel Future Fight where I can easily acquire what I need to recruit whatever character. But it's not. Basically the tiers show you what you can randomly earn from it. Which is nice but there's no specific you'll get this character from this stage. Cause when you win or lose a match you get a treasure box that contains random stuff. And just like Marvel Future Fight you need a specific amount of whatever character to unlock that character and level him/her/it up.

These are Leader Characters. Notice the Fancy Boxes?
These are Assist characters. There boxes aren't fancy.

And this is great. The character roster although small. Which likely won't stay small for too long cause it's a mobile game. It's unorganized. I looked through the character roster and found 2 of the same character. Why? Well that's another concept of the game. You have a main fighter and 2 assist characters in your team. Why do I bring this up? Well not all the characters are playable. They're just assists. And to make it worse you can't really tell these apart from one another. The Leader characters have a slightly fancier box then the assist characters. But when I look at the roster they're all jumbled up together. I can't separate them either.

And here's a small gripe I have and experience with the game. I can't change my name. I am now and forever know as Ranger01245641 or whatever. I tried entering my name but it wouldn't let me change it. I thought at first it's because maybe someone already has my name. So let me try something else. Nope. I just can't change it.

Overall

This game is a huge disappointment for me. First off this game wanted me to pre-register. Cause it wasn't out at the time. So that makes me think that there's gonna be something big coming cause I pre-registered. I got nothing. 2nd Seeing screenshots from other people that played the closed beta of the game made me think oh this game will be awesome. It's not in the slightest. I was happy at first but then as I played it my smile went to a big frown. At least when the game updates I can view the other character models cause I'm not playing it.

I can understand keeping the gameplay simple for the kids that will flock to this game. But it's lack of an actual single player mode hurts it heavily. TRAINING MODE IS NOT A REAL SINGLE PLAYER MODE!!! This game makes Marvel Contest of Champions look godlike and that game is a massive paywall game.  Forget this.

Note: I also don't appreciate this game constantly showing MMPR Green Ranger all day for 10 dollars.