Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Fallen Legion - RPG with Promise

Just to note. I was sent this game by "YummyYummyTummy studios". They told me that they thought I would interested in this game and sent me a copy.

Fallen Legion

This game has 2 different sides to it. The PS4 version is called "Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire". The PSVita version is called "Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion".

Disclaimer/Note

I was sent the PS4 version....Now I don't exactly have a PS4. My sister does. I don't even have an HD Recorder. So how did I play this? Well like I said my sister has a PS4 so while she's gone I start up her PS4 and get to playing. She barely plays it anyway, She's mostly on Spotify. Rarely she'll play Tekken 7 or MKX.  She's also never really home during the day. So opportunity.




I mentioned that I don't have an HD Recorder. By that I mean I don't have a capture care that uses HDMI. Those are expensive. At least for me. I tried to get one but it didn't work so I had to send it back. -_-.  So how am I recording this? Well let me just say it's in probably the 2nd worst option available to me. Now I could just Stream this to TwitchTV. But Fallen Legion has an embargo on it. When an embargo is placed on a game, it means that they don't want you uploading there content to Youtube, Twitch, or other such places until they say so. I can't upload any content on this game till July 17th and 18th.  Wow. The game(s) doesn't release till the 25th in the EU. I can only release content on this game up to a certain point until the 18th.

But I still haven't told you how I am recording this.  PS4 has the ability to stream most of it's games to other platforms like PC in particular. So I start up PS4 remote play on my PC. Bring up my screen recorder. And there I go. The quality isn't that great but it's acceptable. I did this with a few other games last month you may have saw those. The problem I constantly worry about is the signal dropping. Cause I require an internet connection to stream this and AT&T hasn't exactly cooperated with me on this in the past few weeks.  Hope that clears up a few things.


Story

So Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire. You start out as Octavia, who's on the run from a bunch of rebels. You fight your way through them all and I think Octavia is a Valkyrie from Valkyrie Profile. She chills in the back row while other soldiers do the work. She's not useless either. She casts magic. You fight through a few waves of enemies then beat a boss. And then you let her escape.

You're introduced to the 2nd main character during this. A Grimoire. It doesn't have a name. Just Grimoire. I'm used to my talking books having names. But this part of the game is only the intro. Octavia then decides to recall the events that led up to this battle in the first place.

So like your typical war you're having a conversation with your general. Legatus Landuer. He's described as battle crazed but is a great general. Then you're interrupted to be told Octavia's dad is dead and she's the new Emperor....wait shouldn't it be Empress? You're sent his belongings and told you should head back to the capitol immediately before the rest of the countries find out they have no king. Yeah I can see that happening. I mean this is logic that applies even to today. If a world leader dies, that country is in chaos until someone else takes there place. It's pretty much ripe for the taking by anybody until someone takes the dead guy's job.

A Talking Book

Anyway you're introduced to the Grimoire. Who says that he's the reason why your kingdom is still standing in the first place. I should let you know the state of the world first. During scene transitions Octavia mentions how screwed up her Country is right now. The Council of Princes constantly argue with each other and can't come to a consensus about anything. The economy sucks. Which leads to famine, disease, and eventually rebellion. There's a lot of issues going on which is why there's war. Now the Grimoire says that he led your father to rule the country and you should do exactly as he says or let the kingdom fall to ruin. So you do as the book says. Kinda.  Well the Grimoire proves it's worth. With it's power you can summon warriors to fight for you. And you need them. Also you can cast magic.

The only games I can think of that had some sort of wise, talking inanimate object are Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny and Nier. Except they had proper names. This book here isn't exactly selling himself so well since he doesn't have a name. Maybe he does and hasn't revealed it yet.  Later on the Grimoire talks about how it's missing a few pages cause someone ripped them out of him. He doesn't know who cause he doesn't have eyes to see that well. But to restore him he must feed. And he must feed on human souls....oh boy.  And to make matters complicated The Grimoire is a picky eater. Could just feed prisoners, POWs, etc to him but nooooo....he wants a specific soul. Well this will be fun.

Issues of the Kingdom

 So during your travels you find out all these side plots to the story. Or really they're issues that your kingdom is currently going through.  One of the Princes is scheming to raise property taxes, which threatens to evict many commoners. Another country is scheming to get rid of you. There's signs of rebellion going on over issues like Bread. Yeah there's a lot of things to deal with here. Being a ruler of country is not easy. Well...not easy for some people.

Battle System

First I'll say that the world map is pretty much like that of Final Fantasy Tactics. You walk to various areas and either have battles or visit the towns.

The battle system reminds me a lot of games like Valkyrie Profile 2, Ar Tonelico 2, and Cross Edge. You have your party of 4 heroes. There's you which your job is casting spells when you have the chance. Then you got 3 other characters that do the main attacking. Right now I have a basic starter pack of characters.

Tank

DPS

Support

You control them with there corresponding buttons. With correct timing you can execute combos and various effects. However this isn't turn based. There's no you attack first then your enemy attacks. During the time you're attacking the enemy is attacking too. So you have to be on your toes to guard attacks. If you take damage your combo breaks. If you take too long a break your combo chain ends.  So you'll have to properly guard to defeat your enemy.

Your soldiers are also fragile. Despite having the role of a Tank. Any of guys and drop easily. If you're just mashing buttons eventually or really very soon your front line will die. So guarding properly is very important as well as executing combos. But I worry more about guarding. With a well timed guard you break your enemies' attacks and even reflect projectiles.

So where does that leave Octavia's role? Well she's the mage. More a white mage than anything. She has a healing spell which I use a lot. An attack spell. And a revive spell. Her spells recharge based on the damage your front line inflicts.

But what if your front line dies? Well should you be thrown into that situation you'll enter what's called Desperation mode. Or really button mash mode. You need to revive someone quickly. Or die. So you can mash Triangle to recharge a spell and hopefully revive your dudes.

Lead Your Country Properly

Now that sounds too simple of a battle system? It's rather not. There's another aspect to take care of during battle. Leading your kingdom. You have a morale meter. The morale meter affects how much HP your front line recovers, how hard the enemy hits and other special effects. Well...you change this by leading your kingdom.

From time to time between fights your given notifications as to crap that's going on in your kingdom. Usually if it was me I would just go, "I'LL DEAL WITH IT LATER! I'M BUSY!"  But you can't do that. AND YOU SHOULDN'T DO THAT! Your Kingdom needs you. So you're given options as to how to deal with the issue. Depending on what you choose will give buffs and debuffs to your party and affect the morale of your country. I'm told that these choices have an impact on the story. So honestly I'm scared to death every time I make a choice. I could end up on a bad ending route and not know it. These scare me when I don't have a strategy guide to reference. I could be screwing myself and not know it. But choices gotta be made.

Preparing for Battle

Here's where the game is extremely simple. The world map. You can change your equipment which is a bunch of jewels that have various passive effects. Study passive effects that may happen during battle. And study your units. You don't really need to do anything here. Just equip save your game and move on.


Kneel Down Before Me!

This is something I thought would never come back. But Break Mode from Valkyrie Profile 2 makes a return. If you kick so much ass that your enemy is stunned. You'll enter Break Mode. This allows you to combo with limitations for a short period of time. You won't get interrupted and can just go ham. This is pretty much key to winning boss fights. When I saw this I just wanted to channel Lezard Valeth and yell out "Kneel Down Before Me!"


Music, Sound, Voice

The music is great. When I'm paying attention to it. I don't have any complaints at all about the music. In fact I wish there was more of it. I don't find myself paying too much attention to it cause I'm too busy worrying about combat. But that's a good thing sometimes. I don't want to focus on the music then die from distraction sometimes you know. Also this is a good thing since the music doesn't put me to sleep. I've had games where I'm just bored to sleep and fall asleep mid-battle. Those aren't pretty.

Voice acting is great when it's given. I wish there was more of it. There's quite a bit of dialogue but voice acting only happens like it's a handheld game.

Graphics

The artwork is great. I like the monsters and animations are clearly defined when actions are taken. None of the characters totally stand out but I do appreciate the sprite animations of the enemies. Even the background designs look great. I guess if I was to complain or really be nitpicky. It's that this is PS4. And it looks like Vita graphics. But that's because there's another version of this game on the Vita. And also this isn't one of those AAA titles. They didn't blow there budget on graphics everything's evened out. I'm reminded of Dragon's Crown in terms of graphics.


Overall

What I played so far which is pretty much up to the embargo date is enjoyable. Fallen Legion has a nice level of difficulty that isn't way too hard but is willing to not forgive you for making mistakes (and by mistakes I mean more than 1). You're given a chance to learn through combat which is something compared to a lot of other RPG/JRPG games that pretty much either hold your hand the whole way or kill you and make you start over for making one mistake. I definitely want to play this a lot more. And will....just wish I had a PS4 of my own and an HD Capture card.