Thursday, January 14, 2021

Capcom's Video Policy - I have Questions

Capcom's Video Policy: https://www.capcom.com/video-policy/


For those that didn't know. On January 6, 2021 Capcom released a statement talking about there Video Policy.  Essentially a set of guidelines to say what you should or should not upload to sites like Youtube, Twitter, TwitchTV, Facebook, Your Own Website, etc.  

Capcom USA's Original Tweet about there Video Policy (https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1346729487266885632)


While there's many reasons we can speculate as to why this was done. There's no confirmed answer and it drives from the main point.  Many content creators of all sorts from people that Livestream, Upload Youtube content, fan artist, alike have read over this and found ourselves confused, concerned, angry, or just plain didn't care.  

Two days later (January 8th, 2021), Capcom's twitter page post a tweet response to this saying that they understand our concerns and asks us to post questions to hopefully clarify there video policy guidelines.  

Capcom USA's quote tweet asking followers to post specific questions and concerns to clarify.  (https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1347675501293314048)


Well you can be sure I did so.  And I honestly want to make sure these guys see it cause I don't think tweeting these guys questions will do us any good. I would rather contact someone at Capcom directly concerning this. However there's not much I can do in that department. There's no phone number to call, no e-mail address I'm able to send my questions to.  On there website they have a support page but it's tailored towards games specifically.


Capcom Support said that the support page was meant for Games and redirected me towards there tweet.

 I wish I could find there legal team to call cause that's what I want to contact. They would generally know better. And Again I don't really trust a tweet. While you can do business there. Social Media forums have a bit of a problem where things can get easily buried under post made by others. Twitter is definitely no exception.  So there's a good chance my posts may not get seen at all. To give an example. Without a link to there Tweets about Video-Policy, I couldn't find the tweet by digging through there twitter page.  It was buried under multiple retweets for different games.  

Anyway hopefully they see my questions and concerns and not ignore it.  

But again for repetition sake to hopefully get this noticed.  These are my questions. Hopefully before more questions come up.
  1.  How does this affect people that just play the game or do speedruns?
  2.  What if the video was just showcasing a certain move in the game that isn't "modded". Does that have to follow Audience-Appropriate guidelines?  Cause I've read comments on such videos and it sometimes makes it sound like it's for a much older audience.
  3.  Does this apply to artwork? In particular fanart of characters? Some of my friends read this and complained that they can't draw there favorite character anymore.
  4.  How does this affect various sites that host Capcom related content such as the Capcom Wiki?
  5. Where is the line drawn on Twitch/Youtube emotes featuring Capcom characters? Despite being considered fanart of characters used as emotes and notifications.
  6.  For fan created content are we not to credit CAPCOM for use of the character's sprites or models involved in the creation of the fan content?
  7.  Do we have any examples to go based off of?
I honestly hope that this doesn't get buried and ignored. Especially when viewing this from other sources who have an opinion on this make this sound even less friendly than what it is. I wish I could just ignore this but I do have a love for certain Capcom series such as Mega Man, Breath of Fire, Plasma Sword, etc. I don't want to suddenly stop sharing my love for the games.  

No comments:

Post a Comment