Saturday, November 7, 2020

Videos Unfairly Age-Restricted (And then magically fine???)

Youtube did a thing again. Time to complain about it.

We already know all about the Content ID Claims which if I was complaining about that I'd be here forever cause that is just an endless rabbit hole of how unfair that content goes. Instead I'm here cause someone or something is "Age-Restricting" my videos. 

Someone Tell me how this is against community guidelines please.

In the recent 2 - 3 days (at the time of this post). Someone or something has been flagging my Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle videos as age-innapropriate. I would expect this for Ninja Gaiden (Xbox), Devil May Cry, etc. But not for a mobile game that has no blood, or sexually suggestive content. And I'm not using a mod or showing anime cutscenes. So why? 

I wonder who reviewed it. 



I don't mean to complain but uh....Youtube approved this game. You know one that has suggestive themes, gore, blood, etc. I mean Ryu just finished cutting off some soldiers heads before this scene occurs. I marked it appropriately but Youtube's like "nah it's fine."


I can think of tons of reasons as why these videos would be flagged but each reason is more petty than the last one.

A few being:

  • Someone didn't like whatever ad that played in the video or ads in general
  • Anime-Flaggers hating anything anime
  • Someone hating my content
  • Someone hating me.
  • Someone doesn't like that there favorite character is being beaten up in a game.
  • Someone doesn't like Anthromorphic characters/furries

The problem is I have nothing to go one as to why it's age-restricted.  And Youtube isn't willing to help me cause I'm too small of a Youtuber.  I'm not one of the big guys. After desperately getting the attention of there ever acclaimed help service on Twitter by the name of " Team Youtube" (@TeamYoutube).  They're clearly not willing to help and instead do the same as the stereotype helpline of any company. Giving out textbook answers.  Rather than answer my problem directly they dodge the response and throw links at me explaining why this happened. So yeah they're not willing to help.


Team Youtube basically the stereotype customer service call-in line. I forgot to mention that these guys don't really respond to people. You have to nag them a bit to get there attention.  


The only answer I have that makes any lick of sense to go on. Is that they're using an algorhythm. Yep a bot to do all the work.  On September 22nd, 2020 Youtube released a video stating that "expanding the use of its automated systems to apply age-restrictions to videos that aren’t appropriate for all viewers. "


(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gTNFJhSHok)


Yeah the same bots that police our videos and throw Yellow Dollar Signs at them. The Same Bots that identify supposed Content ID Claims. The same bots that supposedly mark content as meant for kids. Yeah those bots.  I could go into how well these bots have fared but I think we all know where that's going and likely have our own personal experience.

What's concerning to me as well as confusing. Is why would I get 7 E-Mails saying that my video was suddenly age-restricted...ON THE SAME VIDEO?!  That has me thinking it's not a bot and someone with multiple accounts that just hates me for whatever reason.  But no Youtube doesn't answer and says just appeal it and wait.  

Multiple emails saying the same thing. AT THE SAME TIME! This makes me think so many other things are at work here than a bot. 

I already clicked appeal and I'm waiting for an answer. But given my experience with this and other things. I don't expect too much positive coming from this.  I pretty much marked the videos private. For the time being.


Weird Update

While recording and writing this out.  I went to make public the 2 videos and now...that those 2 are public again. They're magically fine.  What?  Was I in some alternate timeline where all my videos are age inappropriate or something?  I didn't imagine this happening.  I have emails proving my videos were age-restricted.  And usually when you try to appeal something you get an email saying whether or not your appeal was approved and that didn't happen.  WHAT'S GOING ON?! A glitch in the system?

Either way the part about using the bots concerns me greatly. 

Literally as I wrote this out. My videos magically are cleared of any age-restrictions. And I got no notification of the approval.  Are they trying to make me look like I have dementia? 


No comments:

Post a Comment